New Ventures Maine Free Career Planning Classes
Starting May 2 in Boothbay Harbor, New Ventures Maine will offer My Next Career Move, a free month-long class to help you take charge of your career and create an action plan to achieve success.
In My Next Career Move, you will learn how your current skills connect to future careers, identify high-growth job fields, explore education and training options, and strengthen your resume for a targeted job search. Graduates of My Next Career Move are eligible to apply for the University of Maine at Augusta GEN Scholarship, to be used at any UMA location.
New Ventures Maine trainings and services are open to people of all ages and incomes. Anyone is welcome who is interested in building your career and finding the job that is right for you. Whether you are unemployed, underemployed, or considering a career change, support from New Ventures Maine will help you achieve career success.
The Boothbay Harbor class will be held on Wednesdays from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM, meeting from May 2 through May 30 at the LincolnHealth/MaineHealth St. Andrews campus in partnership with the Boothbay Region Community Navigator program. Register online for the Boothbay Harbor class at: http://newventuresmaine.org/schedules/next-career-move-13/
Individual career planning appointments are also available in Boothbay Harbor, Brunswick, Rockland and other areas of the state, both in conjunction with the classes and as an ongoing service. Pre-registration is required, and there is no fee for the trainings or individual career assistance. For more information or to register, contact Erica Quin-Easter at New Ventures Maine at 386-1664, email [email protected], or register online at newventuresmaine.org.
There is also an online class whichruns April 4 through May 16, with weekly assignments and discussion board activities to be completed on your own schedule during the weeks of the class. The class is accessible from your own computer and open to participants from anywhere. Registration deadline for the online class is Friday, March 30. You can register online at: http://newventuresmaine.org/schedules/next-career-move-15/
Participants in previous career planning classes with New Ventures Maine say:
- The training assisted in keeping me focused on myself and developing goals for my future. My action plan includes finding a job/career that reflects who I am, including continuing my education.
- The class opened my mind to career possibilities. I know myself better and what I need and want from my job. It opened my eyes to what careers may be available.
- The course forced me to take the time to really examine my values, interests, and possible future endeavors. It connected me with resources (online and otherwise) that I can refer to in the future.
- I have a better understanding of how resumes are viewed and used, and I feel more confident in writing a successful one.
- It was helpful getting to know other people in similar career situations. It made me realize we are all on different journeys in life, yet we are all struggling and experience the same stresses. It was a good group, and I felt comfortable participating.
- Even while working on finding a job, this class helped me choose a long-term career path and direction. I feel more confident in going forward with my career goals and job search efforts.
- This course exceeded my expectations. It was just what I needed to pull me out of a rut. I am now thinking methodically about my career goals and how I will take steps to achieve my dream.
New Ventures Maine helps Maine people find success in their jobs, businesses and communities through tuition-free classes and workshops, on-site and online, and one-on-one coaching in four program areas: Build a Career, Start a Business, Manage your Money, Become a Leader. New Ventures Maine is administered by the University of Maine at Augusta and operates out of 10 offices statewide.
For more information and to find classes around the state, see newventuresmaine.org or call 386-1664 (Brunswick), 593-7942 (Rockland), or 1-800-442-2092 (statewide). New Ventures Maine’s Midcoast Region covers Brunswick to Belfast, and travel assistance may be available to help you attend trainings and access services.